Saturday, May 21, 2011

Braden Stuff

Braden has been changing so much lately. He is growing like a weed and I'm assuming that's why he's been sleeping so much again and is getting back into a whiny/fussy stage. He still has only 2 teeth on the bottom, 6 on the top but his bottom gums are really swollen so hopefully he will get a bunch more teeth and just get it over with! Yesterday he had a 4 hour nap, I thought for sure it would be a 1 nap day....but then he needed another 1+ hr nap before supper too!

He is really wanting to climb on everything now and can almost make it up on our couch now and is even closer to getting on Grandma's couch. He is like a little Luke all over again. I remember thinking to myself when Luke was this age and running, running, running everywhere and SO busy "oh my godness! How does Laura keep up with him everyday!?" And now it's me! Speaking of Luke and Braden here's a pic from last weekend:
Mmmm! Blueberries!

Then mom came for the weekend so I could work ALL weekend (yay!) and she came bearing bubble gifts!
Bubble Toys!

Bubble Toys!

Making "brrrrrrm! vrrrrooooom!" sounds:
Bubble Toys!
Bubble Toys!

One of the hardest things of having a busy little 15.5 month old is going out. I'm almost to the point of wanting to never leave my house. He never used to be one of those kids that fell asleep instantly in his car seat or loved his car seat rides, but he was always just content to be there. BUT, then he started running and it's like he doesn't want to be "stuck" in his car seat anymore. He can't even stand the ride to Strathmore anymore, he fusses off and on for most of the ride there.

So I reached out to my Facebook friends for suggestions and almost everyone, the "younger" moms said "portable DVD player". At first I thought - sure! Why not? I'll try anything. But I don't have the TV on for him at home, he doesn't have the attention span for TV shows/cartoons at home, and I think he would get really ticked off that he couldn't have/play with the DVD player if it was in the vehicle for him. I'm all for safety and have intentions of keeping him rear-facing in his car seat, but I even flipped it forward to give him a trial to see if that helped, but it seemed to make it worse. I will try a few more trips with him forward, but if it's the same I might as well keep him rear-facing.

Of course I won't stay in my house, but with the advice of the "older" moms (including my own) was essentially just to tough it out, don't give in, and "train" him to put up with his car seat. I sleep trained hm, so I figure I can car seat train him too. Eating out is very difficult right now too, he can tolerate the high chair for maybe 15-20 minutes and then he wants to get out and run. I'm hoping that this is just a phase and he'll just learn that car seat rides and high chair time is just part of life and he can't get out and run! :) I've had a lot of people say to me "oh the terrible twos are starting early!". I really don't appreciate that. Braden is not acting terribly, he's just frustrated because he still can't communicate everything or even most things that he wants. Signing helps, but he still doesn't have enough vocabulary to tell us what he wants. I think this is probably a normal thing for the age he's at. If you have any positive words of encouragement, I'd love to hear them! :)

1 comment:

  1. He's just at the age where he wants to run, and climb and check things out. That's not being "terrible"! Braden is actually very, very well behaved for his age! He already "minds"...when you tell him to "put it back", or "no..don't touch"... he most often listens. He follows directions pretty well too for as young as he is.

    You were a great baby.... but you hated the car seat, and restaurants too. There's a certain age, where it's just not worth taking them to a restaurant very often. The main thing is that he learn that when he's put in the high chair, he has to stay there until he is "done". Letting him "run around" in the restaurant, is going to set you up for no end of future grief.

    He's awesome, adorable and smart. This too shall pass! Always just remember how fortunate you are that he likes to sleep so much!!! Makes up for a whole lot of other bumps in the road!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and leave a comment! I reply to all my comments so come back and take a look or subscribe to responses!