Thursday, June 28, 2012

My Life is Changing #SheReadsTruth

SheReadsTruthI am now 1 week into my first devotional & bible study. I wrote last week that it was an answer to my prayers. I've wanted to learn more about His Word and start reading my bible that Jay bought for me 5 years ago before we got married...and to live it. This group of ladies who started this devotional are changing my life.

I am a new person in how I'm handling life's situations. I'm not perfect, I never will be. I will fault, I will need to be reminded of the things I've learned and read this last week. But this is exactly what I need right now.

I haven't been very vocal about a lot of aspects in my life. I mostly share pictures and stories of Braden and our family life...but I have mentioned before that my relationship with my dad isn't the greatest right now. Without diving into details, my Heavenly Father has taught me that when my earthly father disappoints me, He is here for me always.
Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me. -- Psalm 27:10
That was actually scripture that leapt off the page to me at my retreat and it's comforted me so much. But I'm dealing with this situation with my dad so much better than I have in the past. God has reminded me this week of Matthew 6:34 again, not to "worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself". The lady who wrote this devotional stated:
Worry is just a smaller way to say 'we don't know if God will come through'. The 'worry monster' is our spiritual enemy.
How true! My favorite verse of scripture that I've ever come across is Proverbs 3:5-6 which we studied on day 2:
Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will make your paths straight.
It comforts me beyond words that I can type that God has a plan for me and that he will always keep His word to me. As in Phillipians 1:6 I am "trusting that He has began a good work in me and will carry it on to completion". I am learning to be content. I am learning to be grateful. Now every night before bed I list on my new app on my iPhone everything that I am grateful for that day. I am reminded to be faithful in prayer.

Day 6 changed me. There is a light shining in my life that was not there before.
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. -- Romans 12:12
If my dad still reads this blog, I pray that those words will leap off the screen and hit him. I honestly had to look up the definition of "affliction" so I had a better grasp. Know what it means?
  • Be patient in PAIN
  • Be patient in DISTRESS
  • Be patient in GRIEF
  • Be patient in MISERY
  • Be patient in SUFFERING
The writer of this devotional then states "patience is waiting without complaining". What a concept! Easier said than done, especially when it happens to you. I get that. I understand...and I have been there. But being able to pray to God in our times of affliction and try to be patient in His plan for us. Wow. What else is there to say - WOW!

It eases my anxiety greatly in this situation right now, knowing that I can "cast all my anxeity on Him because he cares for me" 1 Peter 5. He wants to do that for me, and it it is so overwhelming to feel such love from my Heavenly Father.

---

I know that's deep. I kind of rambled and jumped back and forth in my post. I know that not all of you are Christian, "religious", have faith...whatever way you want to put it. I haven't always in my life. But my spiritual self is growing and learning in leaps and bounds, and I had to share. And well....I can....cuz it's my blog! :)

Are you participating in "Living the Surrendered Life" with #SheReadsTruth?
Sarah

8 comments:

  1. Awesome Post!! Happy to hear it's helping you get through some of the difficult times you are facing. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly is! Thanks for your email, I'll get back to you ASAP!

      Delete
  2. Love all of those verses! I am so glad they are helping you to get through these hard times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so wonderful! Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  3. Keep writing about this stuff! You are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Kelley. I've never been a blogger to "worry" what people might say. I lost a Facebook "liker" over what I can only assume to be this post, but that's okay!

      Delete
  4. This study sounds awesome! What great stuff!! I think I may have to check it out. You may have now not only become my sleep guru but my spiritual guru too. I tend to get so caught up in the world and my day to day stuff that I forget to look at the big picture. Thanks for being real and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "patience is waiting without complaining" - whoa, that's deep

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and leave a comment! I reply to all my comments so come back and take a look or subscribe to responses!