Saturday, December 5, 2009

Corn Flake Butterflies - Our Favorite Christmas Treat!

I used to absolutely love Christmas as a kid, my mom made it so fun for us - always had the house decorated "to the nines" and lots of Christmas baking and treats! I believe this recipe for "Corn Flake Butterflies" originated in the Charbonneau household...but I'm not 100% sure about that! Wherever they came from they are divine, and have been mine, Ben, and now Jay's favorite Christmas treat. I'm no Pioneer Woman but I thought I would share the recipe with pictures.
Cornflake Butterflies
The ingredients:

4 bars (or 28 pieces of soft) Mackintosh Toffee
2 tbsp. butter or margarine
3 tbsp. of milk
2.5 cups of Corn Flakes
1/2 cup of coconut (optional)
Melt toffee, butter, and milk on low.

Remember to keep it on low or the toffee will burn to the pot!

Stir, stir, stir!

This process might seem to take forever - but that toffee will melt!

Next, add your Corn Flakes (and coconut).

Stir all the goodness together.

Get out your handy parchment paper or waxed paper, line in a container, and plop (official baking terminology) spoonfuls of the mixture, et voila! Butterflies!


Directions:


Melt butter, milk, & toffee until smooth. Stir in Corn Flakes & coconut. Make into clusters & chill!

They will be a little crumbly and seem like they want to fall apart, but do your best to make little clumps, as shown above, and then they have to be chilled in the fridge and kept chilled...or they'll fall apart. This is the hardest part about making these - you can't eat them right away when you're done! And it's even best to let them chill overnight, Jay tried them too early last night and said they were still good, but even after being warned, agreed that they needed more time to chill!

An interesting fact I've learned about Mackintosh Toffee bars is that they don't exist anymore!! I couldn't even find them last year so we didn't get any! But, I did find the Mack soft toffee at Co-op and they taste and work the same. Apparently Mackintosh was bought out by Werthers or something! Anyways, I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing I was a huge Christmas enthusiast when you kids were young!! LOL... now, not so much, but I think Ferris will help change that!!

    You remember correctly. That recipe is one I got from Denise.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and leave a comment! I reply to all my comments so come back and take a look or subscribe to responses!