Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

To make or not to make? To keep or not to keep? According to Wikipedia a New Year's resolution is:
"a commitment that an individual makes to a personal goal, project, or the reforming of a habit. This lifestyle change is generally interpreted as advantageous. A New Years Resolution is generally a goal someone sets out to accomplish in the coming year. Some examples include resolutions to donate to the poor more often, to become more assertive, or to become more environmentally responsible."
I have probably made them in the past as a kid, more so when I was a competitive figure skater resoluting to finally land that darned double Axel...! (Which I never did successfully do, by the way!) But never have I made an "adult" New Year's resolution. I was reading on Facebook and some friends were recalling the last year and their resolutions. One girl had resoluted to doing yoga everyday last year and was successful. I saw celebrities making their resolutions on Twitter. It got me thinking...perhaps I should do the same? They are just goals after all, and maybe I can improve myself this year by making goals. So....here it goes:
  1. Although "venting" is an important part of life, and I believe essential to my mental health, I need to do it in a more appropriate way. My first resolution is to find better ways to vent, and to not vent to so many different people, if I do need to talk my vents through.
  2. Keeping in with the mental health category: not to let other people's problems stress me out. At the end of the day, or when you look at it as logically as possible, the choices and decisions that other people make generally do not affect me and my daily life and routines, so why let it bother me? This will also help me greatly meet my venting resolution!
  3. To expose Braden to as many social situations and groups and activities as healthily as possible. I'm not going to go crazy and join every mommy group in the world and get him out of the house every day of the week doing something, but I believe it is so important for his growth and development to expose him to the world and to interact with his friends and family.
  4. To be a better wife. That's a pretty broad resolution, and I do believe I am a good wife, but we can always improve ourselves and I hope to do so in my marriage. It's something I don't, and never will, take for granted.
  5. To improve my relationship with, and become closer to God and my church. It's something that's always scared me a little bit, but I want to become a more involved and better Christian so I can be a positive influence on Braden. Part of this resolution includes becoming members of our church.
Well, 5 seems like a good number. I could probably go on and on and on....but those seem like a good start! :) Do you have New Year's resolutions for 2011?