Friday, August 31, 2012

A Little Harvest Update

Braden and I headed to Mom's for a couple of days to visit everyone (which was awesome!) and when we got home yesterday afternoon, after Braden winded down from being overtired, we got our 2nd wind and headed over to the farm to find Daddy. He was just pulling into a new field with the combine, so Braden and I went for a ride! (Much to Braden's dismay as I was sitting in "his" seat!)
Harvest 2012
Harvest 2012
Harvest 2012
Jay says harvest is going really well so far. Praise God, we have not been hit by any hail at all this season, which is a first in many many years. I just saw a picture of a farm in a town about 30 minutes away from us who's crop was wiped out 100% from hail in a recent storm. God has been so good to the farm. They're combining the best crops of wheat they've ever grown at about 60 bushels/acre. Actually, I just verified with Jay that their wheat on wheat stubble, meaning that they seeded wheat on a field that was wheat last year as well, is producing 55 bu/ac and wheat that was seeded on canola stubble is doing 62 bu/ac. To put that in a bit of perspective, their wheat crops usually do about 50 bu/ac.

Jay hired on one of our friends from Rosebud to truck for them this harvest and it's been a big help as there's so much work to do right now! They still need to swath the canola crops and want to get these amazing wheat crops combined as soon as they can!

Jay figured Braden should have some work boots, if he's going to be "working" on the farm this year, so Mom and I went to go get him some cowboy boots. In the store he got distracted by a pick-up truck and horse trailer toy (which was Pepto Bismol PINK by the way!) and he kept saying "I don't like dose boots!" but only because he was more focused on the toy I wouldn't buy for him! But, as anticipated by Mommy-who-knows-best, he now LOVES them! So we wore our boots to go out to the field last night.
Harvest 2012
You've gotta wear boots and jeans if you're walking through wheat/canola stubble - that stuff hurts and cuts the legs if you don't!
Harvest 2012My Family In The Combine
I just love this time of the year. It's my favorite time of the year with the hustle and bustle of harvest during the day (for me) but then my quiet time to myself in the evening. Mind you, it also gets taxing on a mama being a "single" parent for upwards of 6 weeks. Just wait until next year when I have a 3.5 year old and a 10 month old all by myself! But I love being involved in harvest and helping cook meals and baking yummy desserts.

I hope to return later this week when I get my good camera out (these are all iPhone pics) to do another Farming 101 lesson on combining!
Harvest 2012
P.S. When did he get so BIG?!
ECGSignature

5 comments:

  1. I'm surprised he didn't tell you to go "sit in your own chair" on the combine!! hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...he liked to stand up just as much!

      Delete
  2. Awesome pics! The Father/Son boots just kill me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah not too bad for an iPhone, eh? Those are actually Mommy/Son boots! ;)

      Delete
  3. I love it, he looks so serious when "driving" with Jay!

    And wow, when did he get so big for sure?! I remember last years pictures on a similar post and he looks twice that size now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and leave a comment! I reply to all my comments so come back and take a look or subscribe to responses!