Monday, August 13, 2012

Proverbs are Good for My Whole Family

#shereadstruth Day 1 of #Proverbs! Join me I'm this 31 day study, you'll love it!So the ladies at #SheReadsTruth put together their 4th (my 3rd) bible study. We got August long weekend off from studies, which was really nice, and then we started a 31 day plan of reading Proverbs together. It's been on my heart a lot that I need to read Proverbs, so this was just perfect!

So I learned me a little bit about Proverbs. Solomon wrote these proverbs so we would know how to live well and right and to understand what life means and where it's going. It is a manual for living, for learning what's right and just and fair. They give us a grasp on reality.

Where did I get those wise words from? I wish I could take credit for coming up with that, but my new best friend in my bible studies is my Life Application Study Bible NIV, Personal Size. I cannot remember who it was on my #SheReadsTruth journeys who recommended this to me, but I LOVE it and will use it for years and years to come! It really breaks things down in "simple" language and terms that are more understandable to me. It points things out in the Word that I may have skipped over. I highly recommend it!

So we start Proverbs 1 with this amazingly powerful scripture, verse 7:
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
The first week of Proverbs I'm learning a lot about Godly Wisdom. I have often wondered to myself "how am I going to raise Christian children?" Seriously! Braden has wonderful role models all around him and I love love love the fellowship and community at our little church and I really do trust them in helping us raise our kids, "it takes a village", as they say. But in my study bible it says,
Children learn values, morals, and priorities by observing how their parents act and react everyday. Let them see your reverence for God.
Braden loves church. He did really well for a 2 year old in Sunday School, he loves his children's bible and even pointed out that "Noah's Ark" is his "favowit stowy" the other night which absolutely made my soul smile. A little more on parenting in Proverbs 4 from my study bible is:
One of the greatest responsibilities of parents is to encourage their children to become wise. Wisdom can be passed, but all wisdom comes from God. Learn from the Scriptures and then create a legacy of wisdom as you teach your own children. If you want wisdom - GO AFTER IT!
We are creating a legacy for our children. How awesome is that? And yet so scary at the same time! Then in Proverbs 6 it tells us that as children grow increasingly independent with their age - which is a good thing - as they become young adults is when they need our advice, our wisdom, the most. I'm so scared to have teenagers, let's not even go there quite yet!

So we're learning about wisdom and we're also learning a lot about temptation. The Word brings up the word "fool" a lot. I can't help but think of my dad. God is teaching me more and more everyday on how I can handle the situation with my dad. I feel that Satan is trying to drive a wedge, not only between me and my relationship with God, but also between my dad and all my family members. I am stronger, I will keep praying, and it's just not going to happen.
My son, pay close attention to my wisdom, turn your ear to my words of insight, so that you may maintain discretion and your lips may preserve knowledge. 
Proverbs 5:1-2 NIV

And in The Message: You will acquire a taste for good sense and what God tells you will keep you out of trouble. We need to concentrate on the desires that keep us on a straight path. Don't get sidetracked by people and detours that lead us to sin.
Do what I say and you will live well. My teaching is as precious as your eye sight - GUARD IT! Write it on the back of your hands; etch it in the chambers of your heart.
Proverbs 7:2-3 MSG

What scares me the most about my dad, is that without an aim in life or direction, an empty life is unstable, and vulnerable to many temptations. To combat temptation make sure your life is full of God's Word and wisdom! In spite of his anger and his seemingly doubtful attitude towards faith and Christianity, I know it is buried way down deep within him, so I have made it very clear that I will keep praying for him and that I will send him Scripture if God wills me to do so. I want him to know that through God there is always hope.
I stood in front of the congregation this morning when the leader asked if anyone had anything to share from this summer. I told them that I was thankful for my heavenly Father, as my dad is not present in my life anymore due to his alcoholism. I told the
Yesterday in church I felt compelled to share my story again. The leader at the service wanted us to share encouragement or any stories from the summer. I bravely stood up in front of the congregation and told them, as I had before, that a long story short - my dad is an alcoholic. I told them about you, about the amazing #SheReadsTruth community that I have been involved in over the last 7 weeks. I said that my dad is spiraling downwards and is the worst he's ever been. It's scary for me and my family, he is being a bully and causing such hurt and pain among us. But my light is the relationship I've formed with my Heavenly Father. I've said it so many times that I need Him now more than ever when my dad isn't present in my life anymore. I'm so thankful that God has drawn me so close when my dad has pushed me so far away. I shared this to share how happy I was, in spite of all the crazy going on with my dad. I am truly thankful for everything that God has given me (1 Thessalonians 5:17). My amazing father-in-law, and a lot of other members of the church, came up and prayed over me. I felt so refreshed and could feel my anxieties being lifted from me. He also prayed for my dad and that he would turn to God.

The "funny" thing is, we had just gotten a voicemail from my dad that morning telling us "tell Sarah to send me all the Scripture she wants" in a mean, sarcastic kind of way. So when I feel compelled to, I certainly will. He called Jay 3 times when I was sharing my story and being prayed for. He cannot crush my spirit, God is making it stronger in me.

Thanks again, for reading...if you've managed to get to the end! :)
SheShares
Sarah

6 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you post this now, because our pastor just encouraged us to read through the Proverbs too. I think I'll start tonight! Thanks for being so open and honest. I will pray for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're enjoying the study if you've started...and if you haven't it's never too late. Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. I cried reading this! I am so sorry, Sarah, that the situation hasn't improved with your dad but like you said, you're not alone, God is always there for you! Let Him paint over the painful pages in your heart to make them blank then fill them with joy again! How fitting is it that Brother Al, my preacher, talked about "mental battlegrounds" and gave me that phrasing there with the past week? He talks to us, we just have to be willing to listen!

    That's what I'm finding out more and more as I'm doing this study! I am SO GLAD you turned me onto it, I love it, my quiet time with God every evening :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, my iPad stopped letting me type a reply:
      I also cried in happiness for you, my friend. Happiness that you have so much support and love all around and for your strength.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for reading, Lacey! My dad is absolutely in a "mental battleground" with himself and everyone else...that is absolutely perfect phrasing! I hope you're enjoying your study, I love my time every night with God!

      Delete
  3. Great post Sarah!! It hurts us when our parents, the ones we are supposed to be able to turn to disappoint us....but in that hurt we find peace and restoration in out Heavenly Father. I will be praying fo ryou, adn for your Dad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and leave a comment! I reply to all my comments so come back and take a look or subscribe to responses!